Denise

Denise

Sunday, March 14, 2010

I apologize for not blogging the last few days, but we arrived home Saturday at 4 am and spent most of saturday trying to recuperate. I still have not caught up on my sleep, and after I finish updating this blog, I plan on doing just that.
Friday was spent working all morning and then packing and saying our goodbyes before leaving for the airport. Many, many tears were shed as we left the rest of the team behind that will be stayting until next Saturday. That includes Erin, Dr. Hurley and Dr. Decker, Claudine and Claudee. Dr. Kim was leaving today and Barbara is leaving Tuesday.
Once we said our goodbyes, another adventure began. We loaded into a tap tap (Truck that was used as a taxi if you will) and headed toward the airport. We were all very nervous about this as we had no translater with us and that in it self was scary. However, after a ,dusty, hot trip through the crowded streets of Port Au Prince, we arrived at the airport. After going through 3 security check points, yes I said 3, we were now on our way home. The plane was filled with American workers heading home and Haitians moving out!! One young man I met spoke English well and told me that he had come to Haiti to bury his grandfather who was killed in the earthquake and to bring his 89 year old grandmother to the US to live with him. He had been in Port Au Prince 4 a month to attend the funeral and to get the affairs in order and then move his grandmother. She had been blinded in the quake in her left eye and also had some other injuries that made it difficult for her to move around. It was very touching to see him with her and the care and love he gave her.
Once we were in the air, and they began to pass out beverages.....ICE was my one request!!!! Ice has never tasted so good!!!! Many on the team that left with me on Friday, Carol, Diane, Lynell, Dr. Joel, and Audrey said the same thing!!! THe next wish was to be able to wash our hands in HOT water and then to take LONG, HOT showers and sleep in our own beds.
As we approached Miami, the pilot came on and told us that there was some bad weather in the area and the landing was gonna be rough!!! and Yep.....it was!!! But we landed and then....sat on the runway for an hour and a half. With us being an international flight, we had to come into only certain gaits and we were the 8th plane to come in. The weather ahd kept everyone in the air a little longer as well circling the airport, but we finally were able to disembark and begain our adventure through customs!!!
We all made through without a hitch and then started to make our way through security...AGAIN!!! We all passed, but only to find out that our final flight to Nashville had been delayed by an hour. So this was now going to put us in Nashville at 1 A.M instead of midnight. We were all exhausted at this point, smelly from sweating in our scrubs in the 94 degree heat and dirty and gritty form the dusty ride to the airport, but we were one step closer to being home.
We were all hungry, and with few restaurants open at 10:30 at night, pizza was the winner. Audrey ahd missed her flight because of the long wait on the runway, so she had already lefy us and was on her way to a hotel for the night. She was going to be meeting up with her sister in the morning. I later got a text from her that said she had caught a shuttle to the hotel, but went to the wrong hotel and and was then waiting on another shuttle to take her to the right one!!! I think the Lord was trying to teach us ALL patience!!!!
We finally made it Nashville. Lynell's family surprised her and met her at the airport. My husband ,Red, met us with the Owensboro Christian Church van and after we were loaded up, we began the long drive home.
But, we made it!! The LONG, HOT shower was soooooo good!!!! But climbing into my bed was just the most amazing feeling!!!! I curled up and almost immediatly fell asleep!
I am still trying to catch up on the liquid that I lost....I just can't seem to get enough to drink. I lost 10 pounds while there.....the heat made food unappealing and with the hot temperatures, we were sweating out every drop of water we were taking in and then some. Lunch was provided for us everyday, but it was sooo spicy!! I could not really eat it, but others were. So the tuna in a can bame my meals.
I have so many stories to tell and well as everyone else that was part of the team. We still have members of our team there and we are lifting them up daily in prayer for their strength and comfort and health.
I thank EVERYONE of you for your prayers and support while we were gone. I could feel everyone of them!!! When I became weary, they kepy me going!!!
The group of people I was working beside are AMAZING!!!!! Everyone of them have a huge heart and love for helping others.
I have tons of pictures and can't wait to make a slide show out of them and hopefully post it for all to see.
THe last few pictures I am going to post are of the entire team...including our fearless leader Dr. Hurley. He did not make it into our first group picture and he wanted to make sure that he was in this one so the people back home didn't think he was off in Hawaii somewhere sitting on a beach!!!!:)
God is still moving in Haiti and there is still so much to be done. The work of rebuilding is beginning, but the rainy season is going to be starting soon and a whole new set of problems will them begin.
I am going to keep updating this site as I get updates from the team still in Port Au Prince. Keep the prayers coming!!!

Love you all,

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment